qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] qemu: Add virtio pmem device

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] qemu: Add virtio pmem device
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 11:26:01 +0800

On Thu, Apr 05, 2018 at 08:09:26AM -0400, Pankaj Gupta wrote:
> > Will this raw file already have the "disk information header" (no idea
> > how that stuff is called) encoded? Are there any plans/possible ways to
> >
> > a) automatically create the headers? (if that's even possible)
>
> Its raw. Right now we are just supporting raw format.
>
> As this is direct mapping of memory into guest address space, I don't
> think we can have an abstraction of headers for block specific features.
> Or may be we can get opinion of others(Qemu block people) it is at all
> possible?

memdev and the block layer are completely separate.  The block layer
isn't designed for memory-mapped access.

I think it makes sense to use memdev here.  If the user wants a block
device, they should use an emulated block device, not virtio-pmem,
because buffering is necessary anyway when an image file format is used.

Stefan