qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL] RISC-V QEMU Port Submission v8

From: Andrea Bolognani
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL] RISC-V QEMU Port Submission v8
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 10:13:43 +0100

On Tue, 2018-03-06 at 14:30 +1300, Michael Clark wrote:
> I'm currently working on some changes locally to split the firmware from
> the kernel image. Currently the kernel image is embedded in the firmware (r
> iscv-pk/bbl).

I was wondering about this just yesterday.

Will this eventually lead to a situation where we can have a single
firmware image which is shared between all guests, a la OVMF/AAVMF,
with grub and the kernels stored on the virtual disk itself, like
on most other architectures?

That should make it less awkward to add RISC-V support to libvirt,
plus I expect it to be kind of a requirement for full distribution
support, especially when it comes to updates and such.