qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] in a device or CPU instance init/realize, can I rely on

From: Igor Mammedov
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] in a device or CPU instance init/realize, can I rely on something having the BQL or equivalent?
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2017 14:16:18 +0100

On Thu, 7 Dec 2017 17:26:53 +0000
Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 7 December 2017 at 17:13, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> I don't think instance_init is appropriate for that, as
> >> object_free(object_new(t)) must be always safe to call and free
> >> of side-effects for all types.  Wouldn't it work if you do that
> >> on realize?
> >
> > I think we need the information before realize, but I'll double
> > check.
>
> We do need the information before realize, because the probe
> is what tells us what feature bits we need to set, and the
> ARM instance_post_init hook needs to look at those to determine
> eg which other feature bits to set and which QOM properties to
> expose as a result, and all that has to happen at init time,
> not realize time.
maybe it could be modeled after  kvm_ppc_register_host_cpu_type(),
i.e. create type with necessary feature bits set at cpu's class
init time (sort of combo of what ppc and x86 do).

i.e. one caches host's feature bits at cpu_class_init time and
then loads applies them to object instance at instance init time,
like in x86_cpu_initfn()->x86_cpu_load_def().

TBH:
 I do not recall why we have x86 max/host cpu types do feature
 of static cpu types.