qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] iSER transport name is not good

From: ronnie sahlberg
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] iSER transport name is not good
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2017 16:07:28 +1000

David,

Yes, QEMU has supported iSER (iSCSI extensions for RDMA) via a
userspace library, libiscsi, since about a year.
Here is a nice presentation from the developer of iSER support :
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjChpba3PnXAhXBKZQKHQa9DEYQFggpMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.snia.org%2Fsites%2Fdefault%2Ffiles%2FSDC%2F2016%2Fpresentations%2Fstorage_networking%2FShterman-Grimberg_Greenberg_Performance%2520Implications%2520Libiscsi_%2520RDMA_V6.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3xyvdIciRKVprboN6rClTA

In QEMU, you use it the same way as you would use the userspace iSCSI
support which has been in QEMU for quite a long time.
The only difference is that instead of providing a
form

I.e. the only difference is the protocol part of the URL. When QEMU
passes this URL to libiscsi, it allows the library to decide on
whether to use normal iSCSI or whether it should use iSER.

I think RDMA would be a less good name for this as RDMA is not only
used to transport iSCSI but is also used for NFS as well as SMB.

regards
ronnie sahlberg