qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU 3.0 ?

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU 3.0 ?
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 11:33:24 +0000

On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 12:24:24PM +0100, Thomas Huth wrote:
> On 23.11.2017 12:11, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> >> I still don't think that we need a big plan for this... The change from
> >> 1.7 to 2.0 was also rather arbitrary, wasn't it?
> >>
> >> Anyway, I've now started a Wiki page to collect ideas:
> >>
> >>  https://wiki.qemu.org/Features/Version3.0
> >>
> >> Maybe we can jump to version 3.0 if there are enough doable items on the
> >> list that we can all agree upon.
> >
> > From the mgmt app / libvirt POV, I'm against the idea of doing such an
> > API incompatible release associated with major versions. The whole point
> > of the documented deprecation timeframe, was that we can incrementally
> > remove legacy interfaces without having a big bang break the whole
> > world.
>
> Yes, I agree ... that's why I tried to split the list into a "doable"
> part (which hopefully does not mean any breakage for the upper stack),
> and a "controversial" part (which we could use for collecting ideas, but
> it is likely not feasible to do it any time soon). Sorry for not stating
> this more clearly.

Your "doable" list includes removing all deprecated features, which
basically just nullifies the deprecation process, which declared
that they would live for 2 releases with a warning and then be
deleted. That will break the upper stack.

For the --accel item though, if that's doable without breakage then
there's no point delaying that until a 3.0 release. Just do it as
soon as its functionally ready for any release.

Regards,
Daniel