qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] proposed schedule for 2.11 release

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] proposed schedule for 2.11 release
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 17:10:08 +0100

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 03:07:26PM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> OK, here's a strawman proposal for the 2.11 release cycle,
> based on aiming for a 5 Dec release date and working backwards
> with the same cadence as 2.10.
>
> 2017-10-31 Soft freeze -- all feature changes must already be in a
>            pull request that's been sent to the mailing list
> 2017-11-07 Hard freeze, tag rc0
> 2017-11-14 Tag rc1
> 2017-11-21 Tag rc2
> 2017-11-28 Tag rc3
> 2017-12-05 Release (or rc4 if we need it)
> 2017-12-12 Release if we needed an rc4
>

> That makes softfreeze in 3 weeks time. I'd rather not push
> the times back any further because we end up in serious
> risk of running into the christmas holiday period.

Soft freeze date is not great from a KVM Forum timing POV - the 31st is
likely to be a travel day for most of the Red Hat devs.

That said I don't see a much nicer alternative, since giving two weeks
grace before xmas is good, to allow time for slippage in worst case
scenarios.

I guess, it in effect just means that most soft freeze work will want to
be front loaded in the next 2 weeks before KVM Forum travel starts impacting
working time.

Regards,
Daniel