qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL v4 00/38] Test and build patches

From: Fam Zheng
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL v4 00/38] Test and build patches
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 20:51:50 +0800

On Fri, 09/15 13:31, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 08:21:53PM +0800, Fam Zheng wrote:

> > > IIUC, the public part of the key gets exposed to the guest images via
> > > cloud-init metadata. During boot the guest read this metadata and add
> > > the public key to authorized_keys. The private key is used by the test
> > > suite on the host so that it can now login to the guests.
> > >
> > > So the risk here is that if these guests were exposed to the LAN in any
> > > way, someone could grab our private key and login to these guests.
> > >
> > > What saves us is that the VMs are run with user mode slirp networking
> > > so AFAICT, aren't exposed to the LAN.  So as long as we don't change
> > > this to any kind of real networking, I think its acceptable to have
> > > the private key in it and doesn't expose developer's workstations to
> > > undue risk and avoids consuming system entropy to generate new keys
> > > during build.
> >
> > The hostfwd does listen on a dynamic port on 0.0.0.0, so does vnc. I didn't
> > really care since it's for temporary guests and for me convenience
> > outweighed a
> > bit.  The VM test is indeed less restricted than the docker ones such as in
> > that
> > network is always available. Should it be a problem?
>
> AFAICT there's no functional reason why it needs to listen on 0.0.0.0,
> instead of 127.0.0.1, so general security best practice says it should
> not expose this listening port on LAN interfaces for the developers
> machine, even if we think the risk is low.

Yes, makes sense, let's change it. The only disadvantage of 127.0.0.1 is if the
test is run on a remote host, you don't have to ssh to the host and proxy from
there to login to the guest. The test is automated, so accessing guest may be a
rare need outside patchew (a few months ago I frequently need to diagnose
hanging tests on patchew, no idea how this vm test will do :).

Fam