qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] MIPS 'move' insn emulation

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] MIPS 'move' insn emulation
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 12:01:48 +0100

On 13 September 2017 at 08:29, Sergey Smolov <address@hidden> wrote:
> -d options are a bit high-level for me, because I just see the execution
> result for every instruction. So it will be a mistake to think that every
> change of some register's value is just a new value writing.
>
> As I understand, at "translate time" QEMU creates a TCG model that can be
> run as x86 code on the host machine. May be it is possible to find some
> mapping in this model between x86 and MIPS registers? Having such a mapping,
> one can detect that some value has been written in a x86 register that
> conforms to some GPR MIPS register. Am I right?

No. The process of code generation does not care about
having consistent mapping between MIPS registers and
x86 registers -- all it does is ensure that architecturally
the right values are in the guest-visible registers when
they are visible to the guest.

As I say, we may some day have a tracing API that allows you
to look at things at the level of detail that you want;
for now -d is the best we have.

thanks
-- PMM