qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] S390 bios breaks in qemu 2.10.rc3

From: Michael Roth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] S390 bios breaks in qemu 2.10.rc3
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2017 09:03:17 -0500

On 09/01/2017 02:06 AM, Christian Ehrhardt wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 7:44 PM, Michael Roth
> <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
>> Quoting Thomas Huth (2017-08-29 04:35:22)

>> allowing
>> kernel
>> balanced
>>>
>>> This sounds like a good idea to me, yes. And maybe we could also
>>> ease
>>> the situation a little bit by providing the first stable .1 release
>>> already two or three weeks after the .0 release [*] ? Then these "we
>>> are
>>> not 100% sure whether this is a severe blocker or not" patches could
>>> simply be provided to the public with that .1 release instead of
>>> blocking the QEMU master branch in freeze state...
>>
>> I can give it a try for 2.10.1.
>>
>> At least initially, I would prefer to not have there be a set
>> expectation
>> that there will be a quick .1 release though, but rather anything
>> tagged
>> for-2.10, for instance, that doesn't make it in, will then fall into
>> the "expedited 2.10.1" bucket, and for that to be the *only* way to
>> get
>> into that bucket (we'd still do the normal round-up and pull in any
>> "Cc: address@hidden" patches at that point though).
>>

> Hi Michael,
> To check if I got that correctly:
> - a 2.10.1 could happen rather soon (like end of september as
> suggested) as
> several things seem still up in the air?

Correct.

> - but to "get in" you'd still expect all changes that should be
> considered
> to hit "Cc: address@hidden" and be bugfix only?

Well, that's always the case. What I'm suggesting is that for, say,
2.11, we shouldn't plan to have an early 2.11.1, but rather target
everything for 2.11.0 as normal and only do an early 2.11.1 if we
decide to defer anything originally targetted for 2.11.0. Otherwise
2.11.1 would happen toward the end of 2.12 development cycle like we
usually do.