qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] nVidia emulation in QEMU?

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] nVidia emulation in QEMU?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 12:43:49 +0200

On Thu, 2017-08-17 at 23:11 -0300, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 08/17/2017 10:01 PM, Darius Goad wrote:
> > Hello. I'm Melissa, a trans woman who is the main developer of the
> > nVidia
> > emulation code for 86Box. I'm interested in porting this code over
> > to QEMU
> > as QEMU has higher compatibility with newer operating systems, as
> > well as
> > expanding the developer base for nVidia graphics card emulation.
> >
> > The 86Box code currently only handles the RIVA 128, the RIVA TNT,
> > and a few
> > versions of the RIVA TNT2, and in a very incomplete state at that.
> > I have
> > not been able to progress further due to the fact that 86Box's
> > support of
> > modern Linux operating systems is poor, and due to the lack of a
> > debugger
> > in 86Box.
> >
> > I do need some help, however, as QEMU's code structure is not my
> > strong
> > suit.
> >
> > Anyway, my code is here:
> > https://github.com/MoochMcGee/86Box-experimental/blob/experimental/
> > src/VIDEO/vid_nv_riva128.c
>
> This code seems to match how devices are implemented in QEMU.

Partly.  From a very quick view it seems the register emulation works
very simliar but the graphics output side seems to be different.

Riva is pretty old, right?  Something like 15-20 years?  What
capabilities do these cards have?  3d accel?  Or 2d only?
Which features are emulated?
Which features are actually used by modern linux?

cheers,
  Gerd