qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] virtio-mem: paravirtualized memory

From: David Hildenbrand
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] virtio-mem: paravirtualized memory
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 13:09:53 +0200

Btw, I am thinking about the following addition to the concept:

1. Add a type to each virtio-mem device.

This describes the type of the memory region we expose to the guest.
Initially, we could have RAM and RAM_HUGE. The latter one would be
interesting, because the guest would know that this memory is based on
huge pages in case we would ever want to expose different RAM types to a
guest (the guest could conclude that this memory might be faster and
would also best be used with huge pages in the guest). But we could also
simply start only with RAM.

2. Adding also a guest -> host command queue.

That can be used to request/notify the host about something. As written
in the original proposal, for ordinary RAM this could be used to request
more/less memory out of the guest.

This might come in handy for other memory regions we just want to expose
to the guest via a paravirtualized interface. The resize features
(adding/removing memory) might not apply to these, but we can simply
restrict that to certain types.

E.g. if we want to expose PMEM memory region to a guest using a
paravirtualized interface (or anything else that can be mapped into
guest memory in the form of memory regions), we could use this. The
guest->host control queue can be used for tasks that typically cannot be
done if moddeling something like this using ordinary ACPI DIMMs
(flushing etc).

CCing a couple of people that just thought about something like this in
the concept of fake DAX.

--

Thanks,

David