qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 6/9] Convert error_report() to warn_report()

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 6/9] Convert error_report() to warn_report()
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 11:30:24 +0100

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 09:30:06AM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> On 24/07/2017 08:30, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> > Markus Armbruster <address@hidden> writes:

> >> I'll fix it.
> >>
> >> While focusing on something other than block, I forget qemu-iotests
> >> exist.  My fault, but it's a pretty common fault.  I reiterate my plea
> >> to include (a sensible subset of) it in "make check".
> >
> > Oh, 051 isn't run by "make check-block".  It could just as well not
> > exist then.
> >
> > What's the recommended way to run all iotests a build of QEMU can run?
>
> I use "path-to-srcdir/tests/check-block.sh".  It takes about 20 minutes.
>
> There are two issues with check-block:
>
> * tests that require QEMU are skipped (rationale: you might be building
> without the x86_64-softmmu target).
>
> * it only runs the "quick" group, but I think we should reverse the
> direction and mark slow tests specifically (that would cut about 10
> minutes out of the 20).

The notion of "slow" and "quick" in the iotests is rather dubious too.
Effectively we're saying "slow for qcow2" and "quick for qcow2".

If you run qcow (v1) pretty much everything is slow, because qcow2
speed improvements were never made to qcow1 for obvious reasons.

If using the "luks" format tests which create alot of images are
significantly slower, because there's a significant time penalty
on formatting images.

I imagine other formats or protocol drivers have varying tradeoffs
too.

Regards,
Daniel