qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL v1 0/7] MMIO Exec pull request

From: KONRAD Frederic
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL v1 0/7] MMIO Exec pull request
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 09:34:23 +0200

On 07/17/2017 07:27 PM, Edgar E. Iglesias wrote:
On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 11:33 PM, Peter Maydell <address@hidden>

On 14 June 2017 at 18:45, Edgar E. Iglesias <address@hidden>
From: "Edgar E. Iglesias" <address@hidden>
Paolo suggested offline that we send a pull request for this series.
Here it is, I've run it through my testsuite + tested the LQSPI testcase
on Zynq.

mmio-exec.for-upstream

KONRAD Frederic (7):
       cputlb: cleanup get_page_addr_code to use VICTIM_TLB_HIT
       cputlb: move get_page_addr_code
       cputlb: fix the way get_page_addr_code fills the tlb
       qdev: add MemoryRegion property
       introduce mmio_interface
       exec: allow to get a pointer for some mmio memory region
       xilinx_spips: allow mmio execution

Hi Edgar -- can you or Fred explain how this code interacts with
VM migration? The mmio-interface device creates a RAM memory
region with memory_region_init_ram_ptr(), but it doesn't call
vmstate_register_ram(). On the other hand the core migration code
will try to migrate the contents of the RAMBlock anyway, just
without a name.

It's not clear to me how this works, and it would be nice to
get it clear so that we can make any necessary fixes before the
2.10 release hits and we lose the opportunity to make any
migration-compatibility-breaking changes.

thanks
-- PMM

Hi Peter,

These temporary regions should be read-only and treated as temporary caches
AFAIU things.
I would say that they don't need to be migrated. After migration, the new
VM will recreate the ram areas from device backing.

Is there a way we can prevent migration of the RAMBlock?

Cheers,
Edgar

Hi All,

Yes Edgar is right, they don't need to be migrated (as the old
Xilinx SPI cache).
And it will be the case for all the other stuff using this as
well.

Maybe we can simply drop the region before the migration?

Fred