qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Commit 77af8a2b9 breaks (mac)OS X 10.11.6

From: Phil Dennis-Jordan
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Commit 77af8a2b9 breaks (mac)OS X 10.11.6
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 12:42:47 +0200

Hi,

Apologies for the late reply, I've been away.

On 20 June 2017 at 01:06, BALATON Zoltan <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I can (still) boot off my 10.11.0 installer iso image, and
>> successfully upgraded from 10.11.4 to 10.11.6, with the latter
>> continuing to boot without problems.
>
> I had Clover with unpatched OVMF which worked before but hangs after
> "AppleKeyStore starting" and before "IOAPIC: Version..." messages since the
> above patch. Maybe it's a problem in Clover and I should try a newer
> version.

I never tested with Clover I'm afraid, so it's entirely possible that
it's broken something in there. Maybe it detects Qemu/KVM based on
FADT somehow, or has a FADT rewrite rule that falls over with the new
FADT. Either way, it's probably not too hard to fix on the Clover side
if nobody has done so yet.

>> This is with qemu master (patched for applesmc with the latest v3
>> pending series that's also on the mailing list), and OVMF master
>> (patched for HFS+).
>
> It boots with your patched OVMF so now I'm using that instead. (No boot menu
> but it's faster.)

I don't know if it'll work in Qemu/KVM with macOS, but if you really
need a boot menu you could try rEFInd.

HTH

Phil