qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Commit 77af8a2b9 breaks (mac)OS X 10.11.6

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Commit 77af8a2b9 breaks (mac)OS X 10.11.6
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2017 01:06:44 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 19 Jun 2017, Gabriel L. Somlo wrote:
On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 11:25:15PM +0200, BALATON Zoltan wrote:
After 77af8a2b9 (hw/i386: Use Rev3 FADT (ACPI 2.0) instead of Rev1 to
improve guest OS support.) OS X 10.11.6 hangs during boot near detecting
IOAPIC. (Gabriel's latest v3 applesmc patch series does not fix this.) Maybe
another register needs to be implemented somewhere?

I can (still) boot off my 10.11.0 installer iso image, and
successfully upgraded from 10.11.4 to 10.11.6, with the latter
continuing to boot without problems.

I had Clover with unpatched OVMF which worked before but hangs after "AppleKeyStore starting" and before "IOAPIC: Version..." messages since the above patch. Maybe it's a problem in Clover and I should try a newer version.

This is with qemu master (patched for applesmc with the latest v3
pending series that's also on the mailing list), and OVMF master
(patched for HFS+).

It boots with your patched OVMF so now I'm using that instead. (No boot menu but it's faster.)

Zoltan: did reverting 77af8a2b9 actually help in your case ? Leaving
it in doesn't seem to be a problem for me...

I could not test reverting because this patch does not cleanly revert on HEAD now but my image with Clover booted with the version before 77af8a2b9 and hangs starting with that patch. So since OS X 10.11.6 can be booted in another way the subject should be this commit breaks Clover (at least the old version I had). I can't test with a newer Clover version at the moment but my problem is solved for now.

Thank you,
BALATON Zoltan