qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/7] ui patch queue

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/7] ui patch queue
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 09:26:28 +0100

On 13 June 2017 at 06:14, Thomas Huth <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 12.06.2017 20:08, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> On 12 June 2017 at 19:00, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> This causes configure to barf warnings in my build logs on half
>>> my build machines:
>>>
>>> WARNING: Support for gtk2 will be dropped in future releases.
>>> WARNING: Please consider using gtk3 instead.
>>>
>>> I don't think it is yet possible to drop gtk2.
>>
>> Oh, one of them was the warning about SDL1.2.
>
> Adding the warning does not necessarily mean that we've really got to
> drop support for these in the very near future, but it's a good start to
> remind people that support for the old versions won't be around forever
> ;-) And AFAIK the old versions of these libraries are not maintained by
> the upstream projects anymore, too, so at one point in time, we've
> really got to deprecate support for these in QEMU, too.
>
> So would it at least be feasible to install SDL 2 on that build
> machines? (IMHO installing SDL 2 from sources is not too much of a pain,
> e.g. it does not require lots of other additional libraries around)

Yes, I'll circle back and have a look at whether it's just a matter
of installing an extra -dev package. If it's necessary to build from
source then it's definitely too early to deprecate though.

(Mostly if I have a long pullreq queue than printing warning messages
in my build logs is a good way to get your pull request pushed to
the end of the todo list :-))

thanks
-- PMM