qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] GSoC 2017 Proposal: TCG performance enhancements

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] GSoC 2017 Proposal: TCG performance enhancements
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 19:07:20 +0200

On 07/06/2017 17:52, Lluís Vilanova wrote:
> Paolo Bonzini writes:

>>> Well, it depends what you define as our core target :-)
>>> I think we get quite a lot of users that want some useful ability
>>> to see what their guest code is doing, and these days (when
>>> dev board hardware is often very cheap and easily available)
>
>> and virtualization is too...
>
> Actually, in this case I was thinking of some way to transition between KVM
> and
> TCG back and forth to be able to instrument a VM at any point in time.

That's not really easy because KVM exposes different hardware (on x86:
kvmclock, hypercalls, x2apic, more MSRs).  But we are digressing.

>> Related to this is also Alessandro's work to librarify TCG (he has a
>> TCG-> LLVM backend for example).
>
> Maybe I misunderstood, but that would be completely orthogonal, even though
> instrumentation performance might benefit from LLVM's advanced IR
> optimizers.

It is different, but it shows the interest in bringing QEMU's
translation engine (the front-end in Alessandro's case, the back-end in
yours) beyond the simple usecase of dynamic recompilation.

Paolo