qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] QEMU, increase graphics memory

From: jenia.ivlev
Subject: [Qemu-devel] QEMU, increase graphics memory
Date: Sun, 14 May 2017 19:39:56 -0400

I wanted to get more graphics memory on my QEMU Windows client.

I decided to install **Virtio** drivers for QEMU to achieve that purpose.

I create an *imagine_file* like this:

    qemu-img create -f raw image_file 4G

Also, I ran the windows-install like this:

    qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 4G -cdrom "OS.iso" -boot order=c -drive
file=image_file,if=virtio

But when Windows ran, it didn't find any hard-drive (the *image_file*
basically). It asked for some drivers instead. I think it wanted drivers
to communicate with the hard-drive (*image_file*).

Running the install without Virtio works though:

    qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 4G -cdrom "OS.iso" -boot order=d -drive
file=image_file,format=raw

The difference betweeen the two commands is:

    order=c vs order=d

and

    if=virtio vs format=raw

How do I install windows with Virtio in QEMU?

My original goal is to get 512 MB of graphics memory on Windows (running
as a guest in QEMU). Unfortunately, by default  (no Virtio) I get 8MB of
video memory which is not enough for my purposes

Thanks

P.S. My OS is Arch-Linux