qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM "fake DAX" device flushing

From: Rik van Riel
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM "fake DAX" device flushing
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 17:38:40 -0400

On Thu, 2017-05-11 at 14:17 -0400, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 09:26:00PM +0530, Pankaj Gupta wrote:
> > * For live migration use case, if host side backing file is
> >   shared storage, we need to flush the page cache for the disk
> >   image at the destination (new fadvise interface,
> > FADV_INVALIDATE_CACHE?)
> >   before starting execution of the guest on the destination host.
>
> Good point.  QEMU currently only supports live migration with
> O_DIRECT.
> I think the problem was that userspace cannot guarantee consistency
> in
> the general case.  If you find a solution to this problem for fake
> NVDIMM then maybe the QEMU block layer can also begin supporting live
> migration with buffered I/O.

I'll be happy to work with you on that, independently
of Pankaj's project.

It looks like the fadvise system call could be extended
pretty easily with an FADV_INVALIDATE_CACHE command, the
other side of which can simply hook into the existing
page cache invalidation code in the kernel.

Qemu will need to know whether the invalidation succeeded,
but that is something we can test for pretty easily before
returning to userspace.

--
All rights reversed