qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Fix build break during configuration on musl-libc based

From: Laszlo Ersek
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Fix build break during configuration on musl-libc based Linux systems.
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 10:23:19 +0100

On 02/17/17 07:43, Fam Zheng wrote:
> On Thu, 02/16 12:47, Chad Joan wrote:
>> I am glad others are chiming in and might provide better solutions.
>>
>> Honestly, following the instructions at
>> http://wiki.qemu-project.org/Contribute/SubmitAPatch to-the-letter is quite
>> daunting to me, just to get one line of code changed.  It might help if
>> that page had some kind of dead-simple example for trivial patches;
>> something like:
>> $ cd <QEMU directory>
>> $ git format-patch blah blah blah
>> $ maybe-some-other-command
>> $ # Now copy the contents of file xyz.patch into your email client and send
>> to address@hidden and address@hidden
>
> Makes sense in general except for the sending part - email clients tend to
> damage the patch when you copy and paste by wrapping long lines or messing up
> other things. But your point is taken, we should make the first (or a
> one-shot)
> contribution as easy as possible.

I disagree (from the sidelines, that is; I'm not a QEMU maintainer --
I'm a co-maintainer elsewhere). The patch submission process exists for
a reason, the goal is to maximize the throughput of long-term
contributors and maintainers, because that's the best for the project's
overall health and progress.

It does not mean that one-off contributions are not welcome -- all
contributions are welcome that follow the process (and beyond that,
everyone is welcome to become a long-term contributor).

Just my two cents, of course; don't take this as an official standpoint
or whatever. (And, I'm saying this after having manually fixed up
garbled patches from one-off contributors.)

Laszlo