qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-ppc] [PULL 000/107] ppc-for-2.9 queue 20170202

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-ppc] [PULL 000/107] ppc-for-2.9 queue 20170202
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2017 09:46:35 +0000

On 3 February 2017 at 08:36, Thomas Huth <address@hidden> wrote:
> We've got lot's of C++ comments in the QEMU sources already, and the
> CODING_STYLE document even does not mention this ... maybe this is just
> a left-over from the Linux kernel's checkpatch.pl script? So IMHO:
> Ignore this error. (and if we really agree that C++ comments are a
> no-go, then somebody should send a patch to update the CODING_STYLE).

I've always assumed //-comments are not part of QEMU's coding
style, and we really don't have all that many in the codebase,
so I would vote for keeping this rule. (The exceptions are
mostly in 3rd-party code in disas/ and also in ui/cocoa.m
which was written to ObjC conventions.)

(I find it useful locally that checkpatch complains because
then I can write my todo comments as // TODO and they get
picked up in checkpatch.)

thanks
-- PMM