qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] commit : "virtio: set ISR on dataplane notifications" b

From: Brad Campbell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] commit : "virtio: set ISR on dataplane notifications" breaks virtio-pci network on linux guest.
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 15:16:17 +0800

On 18/01/17 10:21, Brad Campbell wrote:
G'day all,

Upgrading from 2.7.1 to 2.8 on my machines here leaves the guests
without networking. All guests are using a vanilla self-compiled 4.8.12
kernel. The host is using a 4.9.3 kernel.

Guests are using virtio networking into a bridge on the host.

Further testing indicates this only breaks when CONFIG_GENERIC_MSI_IRQ is not set in the guest kernel. My guest kernel didn't have this enabled. Once I recompiled and re-deployed the kernels, all linux VM's networked fine.

I can however confirm it breaks Windows XP 32 bit guests. Upgrading to the latest driver (51.74.104.13000) does not solve the problem either, so I've had to go back to 2.7.1 to be able to use these Windows VM's.

When I get some time I'll try and set up a test environment outside of libvirt and run further tests.

Regards,
Brad