qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Virtual Machine Generation ID

From: Igor Mammedov
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Virtual Machine Generation ID
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 17:24:04 +0100

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 07:01:27 -0800
Ed Swierk <address@hidden> wrote:

> You mean what causes the guest to re-read the vmgenid guid? The
> vmgenid ACPI table defines a notify method, and when the guest
> receives the corresponding event, it re-reads the guid. (Also it
> appears that with Windows Server 2012 at least, if no notify method is
> defined, as is the case with Xen, the guest just re-reads it on
> demand.)
>
> Wouldn't it be sufficient for the qmp set-vmgenid command to call
> acpi_ram_update() with the new guid, and acpi_send_event() to notify
> the guest?
pls note that acpi_ram_update() updates only memory on qemu side and
it's not mapped into guest. Updated memory will be re-read by firmware
when guest reboots.

But with vmgenid, QEMU might want to update guest RAM which
contains GUID without reboot, and for this it needs to know GPA
of GUID buffer and only after updating it send ACPI event.

BTW in-place update is racy anyways as OS could be reading it
at the same time, but we can't do anything about it as vmgenid
spec didn't provide means for atomic update.