qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [virtio-dev] Re: [RESEND Patch v1 00/37] Implementation

From: Wei Wang
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [virtio-dev] Re: [RESEND Patch v1 00/37] Implementation of vhost-pci for inter-vm commucation
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2017 15:47:27 +0800

On 01/05/2017 03:34 PM, Wei Wang wrote:
Hi Marc-André

On 12/20/2016 12:43 AM, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 7:00 AM Wei Wang <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    This patch series implements vhost-pci, which is a point-to-point
    based inter-vm
    communication solution. The QEMU side implementation includes the
    vhost-user
    extension, vhost-pci device emulation and management. The current
    device part
    implementation is based on virtio 1.0, but it can be easily
    upgraded to support
    the upcoming virtio 1.1.

    The current QEMU implementation supports the polling mode driver
    on both sides
    to receive packets. More features, such as interrupt support, live
    migration
    support, protected memory accesses will be added later.

I highly appreciate the effort you put in splitting the patch series and commenting each, although some are probably superfluous. Before going into details, I suppose you have kernel side bits too. I'd suggest before sending individual patches for review, that you send a RFC with links to the various git trees and instructions to test the proposed device. This would really help things and potentially bring more people for testing and comments (think about libvirt side etc). Even better would be to have some tests (with qtest).

The code is ready to try. I plan to clean up the driver to upstream when the QEMU device part is finalized.

The QEMU code is available at: git clone https://github.com/wei-w-wang/vhost-pci-device
The driver: git clone https://github.com/wei-w-wang/vhost-pci-driver

I have a README.md under vhost-pci-device/ , which introduces the steps to try the implementation. I will rename the variables/fields that you mentioned in the v2 version. Thanks.

README.md is under vhost-pci-driver/

Best,
Wei