qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/3] aio: experimental virtio-blk polling mode

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/3] aio: experimental virtio-blk polling mode
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 15:26:42 +0000

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 01:59:25PM -0600, Karl Rister wrote:
> On 11/09/2016 11:13 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> > Recent performance investigation work done by Karl Rister shows that the
> > guest->host notification takes around 20 us.  This is more than the
> > "overhead"
> > of QEMU itself (e.g. block layer).
> >
> > One way to avoid the costly exit is to use polling instead of notification.
> > The main drawback of polling is that it consumes CPU resources.  In order to
> > benefit performance the host must have extra CPU cycles available on
> > physical
> > CPUs that aren't used by the guest.
> >
> > This is an experimental AioContext polling implementation.  It adds a
> > polling
> > callback into the event loop.  Polling functions are implemented for
> > virtio-blk
> > virtqueue guest->host kick and Linux AIO completion.
> >
> > The QEMU_AIO_POLL_MAX_NS environment variable sets the number of
> > nanoseconds to
> > poll before entering the usual blocking poll(2) syscall.  Try setting this
> > variable to the time from old request completion to new virtqueue kick.
> >
> > By default no polling is done.  The QEMU_AIO_POLL_MAX_NS must be set to get
> > any
> > polling!
> >
> > Karl: I hope you can try this patch series with several QEMU_AIO_POLL_MAX_NS
> > values.  If you don't find a good value we should double-check the tracing
> > data
> > to see if this experimental code can be improved.
>
> Stefan
>
> I ran some quick tests with your patches and got some pretty good gains,
> but also some seemingly odd behavior.
>
> These results are for a 5 minute test doing sequential 4KB requests from
> fio using O_DIRECT, libaio, and IO depth of 1.  The requests are
> performed directly against the virtio-blk device (no filesystem) which
> is backed by a 400GB NVme card.
>
> QEMU_AIO_POLL_MAX_NS      IOPs
>                unset    31,383
>                    1    46,860
>                    2    46,440
>                    4    35,246
>                    8    34,973
>                   16    46,794
>                   32    46,729
>                   64    35,520
>                  128    45,902

The environment variable is in nanoseconds.  The range of values you
tried are very small (all <1 usec).  It would be interesting to try
larger values in the ballpark of the latencies you have traced.  For
example 2000, 4000, 8000, 16000, and 32000 ns.

Very interesting that QEMU_AIO_POLL_MAX_NS=1 performs so well without
much CPU overhead.

> I found the results for 4, 8, and 64 odd so I re-ran some tests to check
> for consistency.  I used values of 2 and 4 and ran each 5 times.  Here
> is what I got:
>
> Iteration    QEMU_AIO_POLL_MAX_NS=2   QEMU_AIO_POLL_MAX_NS=4
>         1                    46,972                   35,434
>         2                    46,939                   35,719
>         3                    47,005                   35,584
>         4                    47,016                   35,615
>         5                    47,267                   35,474
>
> So the results seem consistent.

That is interesting.  I don't have an explanation for the consistent
difference between 2 and 4 ns polling time.  The time difference is so
small yet the IOPS difference is clear.

Comparing traces could shed light on the cause for this difference.

> I saw some discussion on the patches made which make me think you'll be
> making some changes, is that right?  If so, I may wait for the updates
> and then we can run the much more exhaustive set of workloads
> (sequential read and write, random read and write) at various block
> sizes (4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, and 256) and multiple IO depths (1 and 32)
> that we were doing when we started looking at this.

I'll send an updated version of the patches.

Stefan