qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Sphinx for QEMU docs? (and a doc-comment format questio

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Sphinx for QEMU docs? (and a doc-comment format question)
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 11:32:26 +0000

On Tue, Nov 08, 2016 at 11:24:21AM -0500, John Snow wrote:

> On 11/08/2016 11:20 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:

> > > I think that designating certain interfaces within QEMU as "Internal API"
> > > has some merit and are worth documenting for the sake of device/format
> > > authors like Peter suggests.
> >
> > To be clear, I'm not saying QEMU doesn't need doc comments.  Every new
> > function in include/*.h must have doc comments and many .c internal
> > functions should too.
> >
> > I'm just not enthusiastic about an effort to reformat doc comments and
> > make them render to HTML, PDF, etc in a nice way because I don't think
> > there's much payoff from doing that or maintaining it.
> >

> OK, understood -- but if we are using a tool to syntax check the comment
> formats, which helps us keep consistency and our docs up to date, we get the
> PDF/html outputs "for free."
>
> I agree they're not particularly useful, but I consider them a harmless side
> effect. They might also help prove to new contributors that we're serious
> about making QEMU easier to contribute to.
>
> > > I think at a minimum, having _A_ standard approach cannot possibly be
> > > *any*
> > > worse than _NO_ standard approach.
> >
> > People don't follow the standard format and markup syntax since that
> > requires rendering and checking that the HTML, PDF, etc output looks
> > correct before submitting patches.
> >

> My only experience is with Doxygen, but that at least does have warnings for
> a great number of things. As long as you're passing the generation checks, I
> think there's not much need to actually check the html/pdf outputs except
> periodically.
>
> > I guess one solution is to extend checkpatch.pl to enforce that all doc
> > comments follow a standard format.  It still cannot check that @, #, etc
> > are used in the right places but at least it can make sure that some
> > standard layout is followed.
> >

> This is the part that I'm hoping the generation tool can fulfill, assuming
> it has generation warnings like Doxygen does.

If we can check that new functions have doc comments and the comments
follow the right format, then I'm happy.

No doc comments -> error.  Comments but not in doc format -> error.

The check needs to be run before submitting patches and also by patchew.
Otherwise those people who don't run the doc generator can fly under the
radar ;-).

Stefan