qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] virsh dump (qemu guest memory dump?): KASLR enabled lin

From: Dave Young
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] virsh dump (qemu guest memory dump?): KASLR enabled linux guest support
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 16:25:10 +0800

On 11/09/16 at 03:42pm, Wen Congyang wrote:
> On 11/09/2016 01:02 PM, Dave Young wrote:

> >> IIRC, 'virsh dump --memory-only' uses dump-guest-memory, and 'virsh dump'
> >> uses migration to dump.
> >
> > Do they need different fixes? Dave, I guess you mean --memory-only, but
> > could you clarify and confirm it?
> >

> >> I think I should study kaslr first...
> >
> > Thanks for taking care of it.
>
> Can you give me the patch for kexec/kdump. I want to know what I need to do
> for dump-guest-memory.

AFAIK, there are below patches for kexec/kdump userspace:
kexec-tools, git commit:
commit 9f62cbddddfc93d78d9aafbddf3e1208cb242f7b
Author: Thomas Garnier <address@hidden>
Date:   Tue Sep 13 15:10:05 2016 +0800

    kexec/arch/i386: Add support for KASLR memory randomization

Originally Baoquan He posted below patches to export vmcoreinfo for some
kernel fields:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/kexec/2016-September/017191.html
But later it was dropped, we finally do it in userspace with several
makedumpfile patches:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/kexec/2016-October/017540.html
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/kexec/2016-October/017539.html
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/kexec/2016-October/017541.html

For virsh dumped vmcore it should manage to export some infomation so that
crash utility can use. I would leave Dave to provide more information
what he needs because the goal is userspace utility like crash can
correctly analysis the vmcore.