qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL v2 for-2.8 0/9] tcg queued patches

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL v2 for-2.8 0/9] tcg queued patches
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2016 16:26:57 +0000

On 1 November 2016 at 16:20, Daniel P. Berrange <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 01, 2016 at 09:34:24AM -0600, Richard Henderson wrote:
>> On 11/01/2016 06:07 AM, Richard Henderson wrote:
>> > V2, now with more windows workarounds.  I'll note that I have not
>> > been 100% successful in actually building a mingw64 image.  But
>> > at least the error Peter saw with v1 is fixed.
>> >
>> > I'll report on the other mingw64 failures under separate cover.
>>
>> Bah.  I think I've been tripped up by the fact that we fail to preserve
>> PKG_CONFIG_PATH when re-running configure via make.  We really should
>> finally fix that -- it's really really annoying when building a non-default
>> config.
>
> I sent a fix for this issue last year, but it never got picked up
> by anyone for merge
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2015-11/msg04074.html

Hmm, that's a lot of random environment variables.
I think I prefer the approach of "if you care about anything
in the environment, pass it to both configure and to make".
For instance we don't pass PATH from configure to make, so
with that patch we would have the opposite behaviour, that
make can run configure (which will get the saved PATH from
config.status) but then make itself runs with a different PATH.
That seems awkwardly inconsistent.

thanks
-- PMM