qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [libvirt-users] pci-assign fails with read error on con

From: Alex Williamson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [libvirt-users] pci-assign fails with read error on config-space file
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 11:08:19 -0600

On Fri, 28 Oct 2016 11:25:55 -0400
Laine Stump <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 10/28/2016 07:28 AM, Henning Schild wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > i am running an unusual setup where i assign pci devices behind the
> > back of libvirt. I have two options to do that:
> > 1. a wrapper script for qemu that takes care of suid-root and appends
> > arguments for pci-assign
> > 2. virsh qemu-monitor-command ... 'device_add pci-assign...'
>
> With any reasonably modern version of Linux/qemu/libvirt, you should not
> be using pci-assign, but should use vfio-pci instead. pci-assign is old,
> unmaintained, and deprecated (and any other bad words you can think of).
>
> Also, have you done anything to lock the guest's memory in host RAM?
> This is necessary so that the source/destination of DMA reads/writes is
> always present. It is done automatically by libvirt as required *when
> libvirt knows that a device is being assigned to the guest*, but if
> you're going behind libvirt's back, you need to take care of that
> yourself (or alternately, don't go behind libvirt's back, which is the
> greatly preferred alternative!)

Note that pci-assign doesn't care about user locked memory limits, so
that much is not required for this deprecated use case, but I fully
agree that going behind libvirt's back is completely unadvised and
pci-assign is deprecated and likely broken.  Maybe we should even
consider removing it in the QEMU2.8 release cycle.  Use vfio-pci and
use the mechanisms provided in libvirt to attach the device to the VM,
if these don't work, file bugs and improve the environment to meet your
needs rather than working around it.  I can't figure out from the
original report what specifically about the environment prevents
use of libvirt <hostdev> entries.  Thanks,

Alex