qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] chardev's and fd's in monitors

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] chardev's and fd's in monitors
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 09:12:11 +0100

* Markus Armbruster (address@hidden) wrote:
> "Daniel P. Berrange" <address@hidden> writes:

> >> I already use error_report's in places in migration threads of various
> >> types; I'm not sure if that's a problem.
> >
> > Unless those places are protected by the big qemu lock, that sounds
> > not good. error_report calls into error_vprintf which checks the
> > 'cur_mon' global "Monitor" pointer. This variable is updated at
> > runtime - eg in qmp_human_monitor_command(), monitor_qmp_read(),
> > monitor_read(), etc. So if migration threads outside the BQL are
> > calling error_report() that could well cause problems. If you
> > are lucky messages will merely end up going to stderr instead of
> > the monitor, but in worst case I wouldn't be surprised if there
> > is a crash possibility in some race conditions.
>
> cur_mon dates back to single-threaded times.
>
> The idea is to print to the monitor when running within an HMP command,
> else to stderr.
>
> The current solution is to set cur_mon around monitor commands.  Fine
> with a single thread, not fine at all with multiple threads.
>
> Making cur_mon thread-local should fix things.
>
> If you do want to report errors from another thread in a monitor, you
> should use error_setg() & friends to get them into the monitor, in my
> opinion.  Asynchronously barfing output to a monitor doesn't strike me
> as a sensible design.  Not least because it doesn't work at all with
> QMP!  If an error message is important enough for the human monitor's
> user to make use route it to the human monitor, why is hiding it from
> the QMP client okay?
>
> If I'm wrong and it is sensible, we need locking.

The difficulty is that we've long tried to be consistent and use error_report
rather than fprintf's; now that is turning out to be wrong if we're in
other threads.  It's even trickier for the cases of routines that might
be called in either the main thread or another thread - we have no
right answer as to how they should print na error.

Looks like we need the lock.

Dave