qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Virtio-net cli parameters

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Virtio-net cli parameters
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 14:49:21 +0100

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 04:11:27PM +0200, Pradeep Kiruvale wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> On 28 September 2016 at 10:29, Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 05:41:55PM +0200, Pradeep Kiruvale wrote:
> > > I want to add couple of new cli options for the virtio-net driver and use
> > > them inside the
> > > virtio-net driver to throttle the packets. I did go through the code and
> > > did single stepping
> > > using the gdb, but still could not find the place where the virtio-net
> > > parameters are getting
> > > parsed and populated into the virtio-net structures.
> > > Could some one please guide/suggest where to look into, in qemu code
> > base?
> >
> > Take a look at virtio_net_properties[] in hw/net/virtio-net.c.
> >

> These variables/properties are static variables. What I am looking about is
> how can I pass a cli option from qemu into virtio-net driver.

When you say "virtio-net driver" I think you mean the virtio-net
device emulation code in QEMU?

These *are* the properties that can be set from the QEMU command-line.
For example:

  -device virtio-net-pci,csum=off

The command-line -device option creates device objects using
qdev_device_add() and then loops over the command-line parameters
calling set_property() on them.

Hope this helps you understand the code.

Stefan