qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] steps towards deprecation of old boards and devices

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: [Qemu-devel] steps towards deprecation of old boards and devices
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 18:09:46 +0100

If we're going to aim for deprecating and eventually removing
some of our unmaintained device and board models, it seems to
me that a good first step would be to come up with a definition
of what our baseline "needs to be at least this good" level is.
I'm guessing that ought to include at least "devices are QOM"
and "uses vmstate rather than save/load functions".

So
(a) are there any other things we want to include?
(b) does anybody feel like writing up a helpful wiki page
on how to update old devices, that we can point prospective
maintainers at?

(In particular I would appreciate the documentation on how to
write a state-of-the-art QOMified device as I don't really have
a good idea myself...)

thanks
-- PMM