qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU TCG issue when executing UEFI

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU TCG issue when executing UEFI
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 11:40:43 +0100

On 16 August 2016 at 13:08, Ard Biesheuvel <address@hidden> wrote:
> I am hitting this strange issue when executing the UEFI firmware for
> QEMU mach-virt/AArch64. This only occurs when building the firmware
> with GCC5 in RELEASE mode, but the failure mode suggests that this may
> not be relevant.

Yeah, we shouldn't dump core even if the guest binary is doing
weird stuff...

> Running a aarch64-softmmu QEMU built from today's master, I get
>
> $ qemu-system-aarch64 -M virt -nographic -cpu cortex-a53 -bios QEMU_EFI.fd

> Bad ram pointer 0x54
> Aborted (core dumped)
>
> UEFI build is here
> http://people.linaro.org/~ard.biesheuvel/QEMU_EFI.fd.xz

Thanks for the bug report -- I have reproduced it and will have a look.

This bug is also present in QEMU 2.6, so this isn't a recent regression
and likely not a blocker for 2.7 release (unless the bug turns out to
have a simple fix and be of the "how did this ever work" flavour ;-))

thanks
-- PMM