qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/2] cpu-add compatibility for query-hotpluggable-

From: David Gibson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/2] cpu-add compatibility for query-hotpluggable-cpus implementations
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 11:09:04 +1000

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 05:06:18PM +0200, Peter Krempa wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 19:19:18 +1000, David Gibson wrote:
> > I'm not entirely sure if this is a good idea, and if it is whether
> > this is a good approach to it.  But I'd like to discuss it and see if
> > anyone has better ideas.
> >
> > As you may know we've hit a bunch of complications with cpu_index
> > which will impose some limitations with what we can do with the new
> > query-hotpluggable-cpus interface, and we've run out of time to
> > address these in qemu-2.7.
> >
> > At the same time we're hitting complications with the fact that the
> > new qemu interface requires a new libvirt interface to use properly,
> > and that has follow on effects further up the stack.
>
> The libvirt interface is basically now depending on adding a working
> implementation for qemu or a different hypervisor. APIs without
> implementation are not accepted upstream.
>
> It looks like there are the following problems which make the above
> hard:
>
> First of the problem is the missing link between the NUMA topology
> (currently confirured via 'cpu id' which is not linked in any way to the
> query-hotpluggable-cpus entries). This basically means that I'll have to
> re-implement the qemu numbering scheme and hope that it doesn't change
> until a better approach is added.

I have at least a start on how to fix this in mind, and it's the next
thing I'll work on.  However, it obviously won't be merged for qemu-2.7.

> Secondly from my understanding of the current state it's impossible to
> select an arbitrary cpu to hotplug but they need to happen 'in order' of
> the cpu id pointed out above (which is not accessible). The grand plan
> is to allow adding the cpus in any order. This makes the feature look
> like a proof of concept rather than something useful.

Alas, yes :(.  Again, I have a plan on this, but it's missed the 2.7
window.

> The two problems above make this feature hard to implement and hard to
> sell to libvirt's upstream.
>
> > Together this means a bunch more delays to having usable CPU hotplug
> > on Power for downstream users, which is unfortunate.
>
> I'm not in favor of adding upstream hacks for sake of downstream
> deadlines.

As a rule, I'm not either.  But if the hacks are small and isolated
enough, I think it can be reasonable.  Whether that's the case is what
I'm trying to assess here.

> > This is an attempt to get something limited working in a shorter time
> > frame, by implementing the old cpu-add interface in terms of the new
> > interface.  Obviously this can't fully exploit the new interface's
> > capabilities, but you can do basic in-order cpu hotplug without removal.
>
> As a side note, cpu-add technically allows out of order usage. Libvirt
> didn't use it that way though.

Yes, I know.  I gather it will break migration though.  With this
patch out-of-order cpu-add will fail because of the test enforcing
in-order device_add.

> > To make this work, I need to broaden the semantics of cpu-add: it will
> > a single entry from query-hotpluggable-cpus, which means it may add
> > multiple vcpus, which the x86 implementation did not previously do.
>
> See my response to 2/2. If this requires to add -device for the
> hotplugged entries when migrating it basically doesn't help at all.

It doesn't.  But it does require a more complex calculation of how to
increase -smp.

> > I'm not sure if the intended semantics of cpu-add were ever defined
> > well enough to say if this is "wrong" or not.
>
> For x86 I'll also need to experiment with the combined use of cpu-add
> and device_add interfaces. I plan to add a implementation which
> basically uses the old API in libvirt but calls the new APIs in qemu if
> they were used previously. (We still need to fall back to the old API
> for migration compatibility)

> > Because of this, I suspect libvirt will still need some work, but I'm
> > hoping it might be less that the full new API implementation.
>
> Mostly as adding a single entry via the interface will result in
> multiple entries in query-cpus. Also libvirt's interface takes the
> target number of vcpus as argument so any increment that is not
> divisible by the thread count needs to be rejected.

Yes.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson