qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU 2.7 release schedule?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU 2.7 release schedule?
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2016 19:45:06 +0100

On 7 June 2016 at 18:29, Michael Roth <address@hidden> wrote:
> I think it is actually bit shorter of a window this time. The last few
> releases had around 2.5 to 3 months between n-1 release and hard freeze / rc0
> for n+1, but the proposed date would be just around 2 months.

Yeah, it's a bit short because the late-breaking CVEs meant we
didn't release 2.6 until about two weeks later than we planned.

If we want to have 2.5 months between n-1 and rc0, that would be
something like
 softfreeze 5 july
 hardfreeze/rc0 26 july
 rc1 2 august
 rc2 9 august
 rc3 16 august
 release 22 august (before kvm forum) if we're lucky, or
  30 august if we're not (more likely)

[these dates are all +2 weeks on the previous suggestion.]

> Being in late RC during KVM Forum also sounds like it could
> be productive, but I'm not sure I'd want to be in that position
> if I was Peter...

>From my POV the rc3-to-rc4 stage is not that much work, but
it's hard to predict who might be the person with the last-minute
required fix (which is usually why we end up with about a week
of slip over the theoretical schedule). The tree is not supposed
to change at that point. I can do the rc/release cutting mechanics
remotely (assuming no disasters like stolen laptops etc); how about
your part with the tarballs? Otherwise we can just do it either
before or after the conference depending on how it goes.

But I think the real problem with a schedule which expects a
release at the tail end of August is that we then only have
three and a half months left til mid-December which is in
practice the latest we want to do a release given holidays.
So we can only avoid the short dev period this time round by
having a short one next time instead.

Maybe we could have +1 week rather than +0 or +2 (so softfreeze
28 June, rc0 19 July, release 16 August), as you suggest. That's
currently feeling like the best compromise to me.

thanks
-- PMM