qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch v6 11/12] vfio: register aer resume notification

From: Zhou Jie
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch v6 11/12] vfio: register aer resume notification handler for aer resume
Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 09:08:23 +0800

So I needn't disable access to the device between being notified that the error occurred and being notified to resume.
This will make code simpler.

Am I right?

On 2016/5/24 18:49, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 08:48:15AM -0600, Alex Williamson wrote:
I think that means that if we want to switch from a
simple halt-on-error to a mechanism for the guest to handle recovery,
we need to disable access to the device between being notified that the
error occurred and being notified to resume.

But this isn't what happens on bare metal.
Errors are reported asynchronously and host might access the device
meanwhile.  These accesses might or might not trigger more errors, but
fundamentally this should not matter too much as device is going to be
reset.