[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Qemu-devel] [PATCH v5 00/16] Introduce Intel 82574 GbE Controller Emula
[Qemu-devel] [PATCH v5 00/16] Introduce Intel 82574 GbE Controller Emulation (e1000e)
Sun, 15 May 2016 16:49:33 +0300
This is v5 of e1000e series.
For convenience, the same patches are available at:
Changes since v4:
1. Rebased to the latest master (2.6.0+)
Changes since v3:
1. Various code fixes as suggested by Jason and Michael
2. Rebased to the latest master
Changes since v2:
1. Interrupt storm on latest Linux kernels fixed
2. Device unit test added
3. Introduced code sharing between e1000 and e1000e
4. Various code fixes as suggested by Jason
5. Rebased to the latest master
Changes since v1:
1. PCI_PM_CAP_VER_1_1 is defined now in include/hw/pci/pci_regs.h and
not in include/standard-headers/linux/pci_regs.h.
2. Changes in naming and extra comments in hw/pci/pcie.c and in
3. Defining pci_dsn_ver and pci_dsn_cap static const variables in
hw/pci/pcie.c, instead of PCI_DSN_VER and PCI_DSN_CAP symbolic
constants in include/hw/pci/pcie_regs.h.
4. Changing the vmxnet3_device_serial_num function in hw/net/vmxnet3.c
to avoid the cast when it is called.
5. Avoiding a preceding underscore in all the e1000e-related names.
6. Minor style changes.
This series is the final code of the e1000e device emulation, that we
have developed. Please review, and consider acceptance of these patches
to the upstream QEMU repository.
The code stability was verified by various traffic tests using Fedora 22
Linux, and Windows Server 2012R2 guests. Also, Microsoft Hardware
Certification Kit (HCK) tests were run on a Windows Server 2012R2 guest.
There was a discussion on the possibility of code sharing between the
e1000e, and the existing e1000 devices. We have reviewed the final code
for parts that may be shared between this device and the currently
available e1000 emulation. The device specifications are very different,
and there are almost no registers, nor functions, that were left as is
from e1000. The ring descriptor structures were changed as well, by the
introduction of extended and PS descriptors, as well as additional bits.
Additional differences stem from the fact that the e1000e device re-uses
network packet abstractions introduced by the vmxnet3 device, while the
e1000 has its own code for packet handling. BTW, it may be worth reusing
those abstractions in e1000 as well. (Following these changes the
vmxnet3 device was successfully tested for possible regressions.)
There are a few minor parts that may be shared, e.g. the default
register handlers, and the ring management functions. The total amount
of shared lines will be about 100--150, so we're not sure if it makes
sense bothering, and taking a risk of breaking e1000, which is a good,
old, and stable device.
Currently, the e1000e code is stand alone w.r.t. e1000.
Please share your thoughts.
Thanks in advance,
Changes since RFCv2:
1. Device functionality verified using Microsoft Hardware Certification Test
2. Introduced a number of performance improvements
3. The code was cleaned, and rebased to the latest master
4. Patches verified with checkpatch.pl
Changes since RFCv1:
1. Added support for all the device features:
- Interrupt moderation.
2. Simulated exact PCI/PCIe configuration space layout.
3. Made fixes needed to pass Microsoft's HW certification tests (HCK).
This series is still an RFC, because the following tasks are not done yet:
1. See which code can be shared between this device and the existing e1000
2. Rebase patches to the latest master (current base is v2.3.0).
Please share your thoughts,
This patch series is an RFC for the new networking device emulation
we're developing for QEMU.
This new device emulates the Intel 82574 GbE Controller and works
with unmodified Intel e1000e drivers from the Linux/Windows kernels.
The status of the current series is "Functional Device Ready, work
on Extended Features in Progress".
More precisely, these patches represent a functional device, which
is recognized by the standard Intel drivers, and is able to transfer
TX/RX packets with CSO/TSO offloads, according to the spec.
Extended features not supported yet (work in progress):
1. TX/RX Interrupt moderation mechanisms
3. Full-featured multi-queue (use of multiqueued network backend)
Also, there will be some code refactoring and performance
This series was tested on Linux (Fedora 22) and Windows (2012R2)
guests, using Iperf, with TX/RX and TCP/UDP streams, and various
More thorough testing, including data streams with different MTU
sizes, and Microsoft Certification (HLK) tests, are pending missing
See commit messages (esp. "net: Introduce e1000e device emulation")
for more information about the development approaches and the
architecture options chosen for this device.
This series is based upon v2.3.0 tag of the upstream QEMU repository,
and it will be rebased to latest before the final submission.
Please share your thoughts - any feedback is highly welcomed :)
Dmitry Fleytman (16):
msix: make msix_clr_pending() visible for clients
pci: Introduce define for PM capability version 1.1
pcie: Add support for PCIe CAP v1
pcie: Introduce function for DSN capability creation
vmxnet3: Use generic function for DSN capability definition
net: Introduce Toeplitz hash calculator
net: Add macros for MAC address tracing
vmxnet3: Use common MAC address tracing macros
net_pkt: Name vmxnet3 packet abstractions more generic
rtl8139: Move more TCP definitions to common header
net_pkt: Extend packet abstraction as required by e1000e functionality
vmxnet3: Use pci_dma_* API instead of cpu_physical_memory_*
e1000_regs: Add definitions for Intel 82574-specific bits
e1000: Move out code that will be reused in e1000e
net: Introduce e1000e device emulation
e1000e: Introduce qtest for e1000e device
MAINTAINERS | 18 +
default-configs/pci.mak | 1 +
hw/net/Makefile.objs | 5 +-
hw/net/e1000.c | 411 ++----
hw/net/e1000_regs.h | 349 ++++-
hw/net/e1000e.c | 739 ++++++++++
hw/net/e1000e_core.c | 3478 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
hw/net/e1000e_core.h | 146 ++
hw/net/e1000x_common.c | 267 ++++
hw/net/e1000x_common.h | 213 +++
hw/net/net_rx_pkt.c | 600 ++++++++
hw/net/net_rx_pkt.h | 363 +++++
hw/net/net_tx_pkt.c | 637 ++++++++
hw/net/net_tx_pkt.h | 191 +++
hw/net/rtl8139.c | 5 -
hw/net/vmxnet3.c | 155 +-
hw/net/vmxnet_debug.h | 3 -
hw/net/vmxnet_rx_pkt.c | 187 ---
hw/net/vmxnet_rx_pkt.h | 174 ---
hw/net/vmxnet_tx_pkt.c | 581 --------
hw/net/vmxnet_tx_pkt.h | 146 --
hw/pci/msix.c | 2 +-
hw/pci/pcie.c | 94 +-
include/hw/pci/msix.h | 1 +
include/hw/pci/pci_regs.h | 2 +
include/hw/pci/pcie.h | 5 +
include/hw/pci/pcie_regs.h | 5 +-
include/net/checksum.h | 49 +-
include/net/eth.h | 161 +-
include/net/net.h | 5 +
net/checksum.c | 7 +-
net/eth.c | 410 +++++-
tests/Makefile | 7 +-
tests/e1000e-test.c | 480 ++++++
trace-events | 213 +++
35 files changed, 8502 insertions(+), 1608 deletions(-)
create mode 100644 hw/net/e1000e.c
create mode 100644 hw/net/e1000e_core.c
create mode 100644 hw/net/e1000e_core.h
create mode 100644 hw/net/e1000x_common.c
create mode 100644 hw/net/e1000x_common.h
create mode 100644 hw/net/net_rx_pkt.c
create mode 100644 hw/net/net_rx_pkt.h
create mode 100644 hw/net/net_tx_pkt.c
create mode 100644 hw/net/net_tx_pkt.h
delete mode 100644 hw/net/vmxnet_rx_pkt.c
delete mode 100644 hw/net/vmxnet_rx_pkt.h
delete mode 100644 hw/net/vmxnet_tx_pkt.c
delete mode 100644 hw/net/vmxnet_tx_pkt.h
create mode 100644 tests/e1000e-test.c
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v5 00/16] Introduce Intel 82574 GbE Controller Emulation (e1000e),
Leonid Bloch <=
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v5 03/16] pcie: Add support for PCIe CAP v1, Leonid Bloch, 2016/05/15
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v5 01/16] msix: make msix_clr_pending() visible for clients, Leonid Bloch, 2016/05/15
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v5 02/16] pci: Introduce define for PM capability version 1.1, Leonid Bloch, 2016/05/15
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v5 04/16] pcie: Introduce function for DSN capability creation, Leonid Bloch, 2016/05/15
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v5 05/16] vmxnet3: Use generic function for DSN capability definition, Leonid Bloch, 2016/05/15
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v5 06/16] net: Introduce Toeplitz hash calculator, Leonid Bloch, 2016/05/15
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v5 08/16] vmxnet3: Use common MAC address tracing macros, Leonid Bloch, 2016/05/15
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v5 07/16] net: Add macros for MAC address tracing, Leonid Bloch, 2016/05/15
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v5 10/16] rtl8139: Move more TCP definitions to common header, Leonid Bloch, 2016/05/15
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v5 12/16] vmxnet3: Use pci_dma_* API instead of cpu_physical_memory_*, Leonid Bloch, 2016/05/15