qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Nbd] New web site?

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Nbd] New web site?
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 10:48:34 -0600

[adding qemu]

On 04/21/2016 10:31 AM, Alex Bligh wrote:

> On 21 Apr 2016, at 16:45, Wouter Verhelst <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 03:21:45PM +0100, Alex Bligh wrote:
>>> The website on sourceforge was looking a bit tired.
>>>
>>> I moved it over to github pages (currently on my own clone of the repo -
>>> hence it falsely claims that I am the maintainer at the bottom - will be
>>> fixed automatically if we take this live). See:
>>>
>>>   http://abligh.github.io/nbd/
>>>
>>> If people like this, I was planning to add some more information about the
>>> different nbd resources around.
>>
>> I'm not conceptually opposed to moving the webpage to github pages (or
>> something similar), but:
>> - If we're going to do so, we really should be using a github
>>  organization account for hosting the repository (unfortunately "nbd"
>>  is, predictably, already taken, so we'll have to use something else),
>>  rather than continuing to host it in my personal github account.
>>  (actually, we should do so regardless, if we can think of a proper
>>  name for the orga account)
>
> Agree. linuxnbd? nbd-userspace?
>
>> - NBD has lived on sourceforge for 15+ years now, and there are many
>>  locations where people link to the sourceforge URL (magazine articles,
>>  code comments in other people's NBD implementations, kernel's
>>  Documentation/blockdev/nbd.txt, etc etc etc). We should update those
>>  (where possible), and make it clear on the sourceforge page that the
>>  github page is now canonical somehow (e.g., by using a meta redirect
>>  or some such).
>
> Agree
>
>> - If we're going that route, it might make sense to stop using
>>  sourceforge completely. We'd need to use some other mailinglist stuff.
>>  I'm not sure google groups is the best option, but surely there are
>>  other possibilities.
>
> Well the kernel.org mailing lists would be an obvious home.
> I believe linuxfoundation runs some too (even for outside
> projects). We might finally get rid of the spam.

I'm not sure if qemu's current list hosting (@nongnu.org, run by FSF) is
available, but it does a lot better at spam management.  Also, qemu
recently aligned with the Software Freedom Conservancy
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2015-07/msg04802.html

and as such may have advice on how to migrate canonical management of a
project.  Since qemu is one of the NBD implementations, there's at least
a relationship to consider.