qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC for-2.7 07/11] pseries: Move adding of fdt reserve

From: Alexey Kardashevskiy
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC for-2.7 07/11] pseries: Move adding of fdt reserve map entries
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 16:03:12 +1000

On 04/21/2016 03:52 PM, David Gibson wrote:
On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 03:14:48PM +1000, Alexey Kardashevskiy wrote:
On 04/20/2016 12:33 PM, David Gibson wrote:
The flattened device tree passed to pseries guests contains a list of
reserved memory areas.  Currently we construct this list early in
spapr_build_fdt() as we sequentially write out the fdt.

This will be inconvenient for upcoming cleanups, so this patch moves
the reserve map changes to the end of fdt construction.  This changes
fdt_add_reservemap_entry() calls - which work when writing the fdt
sequentially to fdt_add_mem_rsv() calls used when altering the fdt in
random access mode.

Looks to me like the real reason for this move is that new qdt_setprop_xxx
API does not support memory reserve map yet. Will it, when?

Right, and it's not clear that it even should include reserve map
stuff.  The reserve map isn't really part of the device tree, it's
just included in the fdt blob for historical and implementation
reasons.

So I'd prefer to avoid managing a list of reserve entries in qdt -
instead I was thinking of just having a list of reserves passed
straight into qdt_flatten().

In the meantime, I'd prefer to defer that design decision.

Ok.

In general, when
do you plan to get rid of _FDT()?

Once I've got rid of all the calls to libfdt functions that need error
catching.

I meant timeframe :) Like "2.7 release" or so.

--
Alexey