qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Why is SeaBIOS used with -kernel?

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Why is SeaBIOS used with -kernel?
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 06:38:36 +0200

Am 01.04.2016 um 13:20 hat Richard W.M. Jones geschrieben:

> My patch, plus the configuration and comments from your patch,
> combined.  Plus I tested it with libguestfs boot-analysis and it works
> and is still fast.
>
> Integrating this so it happens automatically when the user adds
> -kernel on x86 seems quite complicated.  The only way I could do it
> was by adding #ifdef defined(__x86_64__) etc to vl.c, which doesn't
> seem very nice.  The problem is the machine type code doesn't know
> that you're using -kernel.

I would actually find it rather surprising to get differernt BIOSes and
therefore potentially different behaviour for -kernel and for booting
from an image. Even if we made sure that Linux really never touches the
parts that you disable in bios-fast.bin, remember that -kernel is not
only for Linux, but for arbitrary kernels.

Requiring an explicit -bios option like you do now seems to make most
sense to me: The default behaves the same as a normal boot, but if you
are one of the cases that do need that additional boot speed, you can do
that and consciously sacrifice the features.

Kevin