qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Nbd] Is NBD_CMD_FLAG_FUA valid during NBD_CMD_FLUSH?

From: Alex Bligh
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Nbd] Is NBD_CMD_FLAG_FUA valid during NBD_CMD_FLUSH?
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2016 16:12:47 +0100

On 1 Apr 2016, at 16:08, Eric Blake <address@hidden> wrote:

> But yes, I'm favoring a) as well, for the simplicity factor.  There's
> still the issue that if we document a behavior, a new client talking to
> an older server can't reliably tell if the behavior will be guaranteed.

Existing clients should not be sending FUA on anything other than
NBD_CMD_WRITE *and* relying on the behaviour, as the behaviour is
not documented (hence this discussion). Therefore it shouldn't
break anything. I also think it won't break anything in practice
as qemu doesn't use FUA on write and the kernel doesn't use FUA
at all; I realise that is not an exhaustive list.

--
Alex Bligh