qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC for-2.7 1/1] block/qapi: Add query-block-node-tree

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC for-2.7 1/1] block/qapi: Add query-block-node-tree
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 09:25:07 -0600

On 03/26/2016 10:33 AM, Max Reitz wrote:

>> We insert the new child to the head, not the tail...
>
> Well, the idea is that the order of children doesn't really matter; The
> only thing that describes the behavior of a child is its role. For
> instance, for qcow2 it doesn't matter whether the "file" or the
> "backing" BDS is the first child.
>
> However, for quorum, the order might matter (e.g. in FIFO mode). But
> then again, the order is clearly specified by the role again: The first
> child is the one with the "children.0" role.
>
> So I don't think this is real problem as long as I add a note to the
> documentation that the order of objects in the @children array is
> undefined and does not have any significance.

What happens when we hot-add/-delete children from a FIFO mode quorum?
Obviously, we can select which child to delete, so if we delete the
child.0 node, do we have guaranteed semantics on which node takes over
the role as the primary child?  Conversely, when adding a node, do we
have a way to specify whether the new node must be at the front (assume
the child.0 role) or back (must not affect the current FIFO roles)?

I think order is important enough for FIFO mode that we ought to try and
represent it explicitly in the command, rather than getting it backwards
or stating it is undefined.