qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC qemu 0/4] A PV solution for live migration optimiz

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC qemu 0/4] A PV solution for live migration optimization
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 19:55:16 +0000

* Li, Liang Z (address@hidden) wrote:

> > used by the host.
> > right?

> > be traced by the dirty page logging mechanism. So in the following
> > migration_bitmap_sync() function.

> > > OK, yes, that works; so we do:
> > >   * enable dirty logging
> > >   * ask guest for free pages
> > >   * initialise the migration bitmap as everything-free
> > >   * then later we do the normal sync-dirty bitmap stuff and it all just
> > > works.
> > >
> > > That's nice and simple.
> >
> > This works once, sure. But there's an issue is that you have to defer
> > migration
> > until you get the free page list, and this only works once. So you end up
> > with
> > heuristics about how long to wait.
> >
> > Instead I propose:
> >
> > - mark all pages dirty as we do now.
> >
> > - at start of migration, start tracking dirty
> >   pages in kvm, and tell guest to start tracking free pages
> >
> > we can now introduce any kind of delay, for example wait for ack from guest,
> > or do whatever else, or even just start migrating pages
> >
> > - repeatedly:
> >     - get list of free pages from guest
> >     - clear them in migration bitmap
> >     - get dirty list from kvm
> >
> > - at end of migration, stop tracking writes in kvm,
> >   and tell guest to stop tracking free pages
>
> I had thought of filtering out the free pages in each migration bitmap
> synchronization.
> The advantage is we can skip process as many free pages as possible. Not just
> once.
> The disadvantage is that we should change the current memory management code
> to track the free pages,
> instead of traversing the free page list to construct the free pages bitmap,
> to reduce the overhead to get the free pages bitmap.
> I am not sure the if the Kernel people would like it.
>
> If keeping the traversing mechanism, because of the overhead, maybe it's not
> worth to filter out the free pages repeatedly.

Well, Michael's idea of not waiting for the dirty
bitmap to be filled does make that idea of constnatly
using the free-bitmap better.

In that case, is it easier if something (guest/host?)
allocates some memory in the guests physical RAM space
and just points the host to it, rather than having an
explicit 'send'.

Dave