[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v4 0/4] Add ASPEED AST2400 SoC and OpenPower BMC
Cédric Le Goater
Re: [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v4 0/4] Add ASPEED AST2400 SoC and OpenPower BMC machine
Tue, 15 Mar 2016 11:25:31 +0100
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Icedove/38.6.0
On 03/15/2016 06:01 AM, Andrew Jeffery wrote:
> On Tue, 2016-03-15 at 12:34 +0800, Jeremy Kerr wrote:
>> Hi Andrew,
>>> This patch series models enough of the ASPEED AST2400 ARM9 SoC to
>>> boot an aspeed_defconfig Linux kernel. Specifically, the series
>>> implements the ASPEED timer and VIC devices, integrates them into an
>>> AST2400 SoC and exposes it all through a new opbmc2400 machine. The
>>> device model patches only partially implement the hardware features of
>>> the timer and VIC, again mostly just enough to boot Linux.
>> Awesome! Nice to have these patches escaping the lab :)
>> In terms of naming suggestions: I think this depends on what we're
>> looking to emulate here. I see two options:
>> The qemu platform becomes a "reference" for OpenPOWER bmc hardware, but
>> doesn't necessarily align with an actual machine. In that case,
>> something generic like opbmc- would make sense.
>> On the other hand, if we'd like to create qemu platforms that represent
>> actual machines (eg, the OpenPOWER "palmetto" machine), then
>> -bmc would seem more appropriate. In this case, the machine
>> name would be palmetto-bmc. No need to include the SoC name in that, as
>> it's defined by the hardware implementation.
>> I think the latter option may be more generally useful.
> Okay, agreed, I'll rework the change to use palmetto-bmc for the
> machine name. Thanks for the feedback.
Yes. palmetto-bmc is good choice. Palmetto is a reference machine
May be change also :
+ mc->desc = "OpenPOWER AST2400 BMC (ARM926EJ-S)";
to reflect that choice.
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v4 2/4] hw/intc: Add (new) ASPEED VIC device model, (continued)
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v4 2/4] hw/intc: Add (new) ASPEED VIC device model, Andrew Jeffery, 2016/03/14
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v4 3/4] hw/arm: Add ASPEED AST2400 SoC model, Andrew Jeffery, 2016/03/14
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v4 4/4] hw/arm: Add opbmc2400, an AST2400 OpenPOWER BMC machine, Andrew Jeffery, 2016/03/14
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v4 1/4] hw/timer: Add ASPEED timer device model, Andrew Jeffery, 2016/03/14
- Re: [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v4 0/4] Add ASPEED AST2400 SoC and OpenPower BMC machine, Jeremy Kerr, 2016/03/15