qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] bogus bdrv_check_request in bdrv_co_discard

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] bogus bdrv_check_request in bdrv_co_discard
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 13:29:48 +0100

On 09/03/2016 13:11, Olaf Hering wrote:
> What is the purpose of the bdrv_check_request() call in bdrv_co_discard?
>
> It seems a frontend cant possibly know what the limit is in the
> qemu-of-the-day, I found no interface to propagate
> BDRV_REQUEST_MAX_SECTORS into the guest.

It depends on the backend.  For example SCSI uses the block limits VPD
page.  It has a default max-unmap-size of 1 GiB, which happens to be
smaller than BDRV_REQUEST_MAX_SECTORS too.

It probably should range check max_unmap_size and max_io_size against
BDRV_REQUEST_MAX_SECTORS, and reject anything bigger than that, though.

Paolo