qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Question regarding a special case VM communication

From: Jidong Xiao
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Question regarding a special case VM communication
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 20:55:26 -0700

Hello, All,

I am facing this special case of VM communication.

I have a Linux host machine, on which two Qemu/KVM virtual machines
are launched. Let's say they are VM1 and VM2, and their corresponding
processes on the host are Qemu1 and Qemu2. Inside VM2, I need nested
virtualization, i.e., A qemu process is started inside VM2, let's say
it's Qemu3, and a virtual machine VM3 is created accordingly.

What I want to achieve is: communication between Qemu1 and Qemu3. For
example, if I need to migrate VM1 from Qemu1 to Qemu3, how do I
achieve that? One naïve solution is just go through the TCP stack,
however, since they are in the same host machine, is there any fast or
efficient way to implement it? I.e., Something similar to Unix domain
socket. I know Unix domain socket is not applicable to case like this,
but I am just looking for something similar to that. Does anyone have
any suggestions, ideas? Thanks.

-Jidong