qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [V6 0/4] AMD IOMMU

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [V6 0/4] AMD IOMMU
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 22:39:54 +0200

On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 09:17:58PM +0100, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> On 2016-03-01 21:11, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> >>
> >> I mean, when in kvm mode AND having something that caches enabled, of
> >> course.
> >
> > Just write-protecting won't be enough either, since
> > the moment you remove the protection, all bets are off,
> > and if you don't, guest will start from the same point
> > when you re-enter and fault again.
>
> We would not remove protection as long as the entry is in use by the
> IOMMU. There should be no difference from shadow MMU logic here: trap
> and emulate the write.

Oh that's a nice trick. So you only write-protect it when you detect
that a range was invalidated.  Unfortunately it has page granularity so
a single invalid PTE causes faults for writes to all others sharing a
page with it.

> > What this seems to call for is a new kind of protection
> > where yes PTE is write protected, but instead of
> > making PTE writeable (or killing guest)
> > KVM handles it as an MMIO: emulates the write and then skips the
> > instruction.
> >
> > Emulation can be in kernel, just writing into guest memory
> > on behalf of the guest - with some kind of notifier
> > to flush the vfio cache - or instead it can exit to userspace
> > and have QEMU handle it like MMIO and write into guest memory.
>
> Exactly, but that's nothing new, is it? It's "just" slow, like other
> shadow MMUs.
>
> Jan

Well AFAIK KVM does not have such an option ATM: MMIO causes exits for
reads and writes.  We want MMIO exits for writes but not reads.
I agree it should be easy to implement.