qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [mttcg] cputlb: Use async tlb_flush_by_mmuidx

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [mttcg] cputlb: Use async tlb_flush_by_mmuidx
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 13:55:26 +0000

On 29 February 2016 at 13:50, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:

>> What's the API for a target CPU emulation to say "and now I must
>> wait for the TLB op to finish" before completing this guest
>> instruction?
>
> My proposal has been for a while for DMB to put the CPU in a halted
> state (remote TLB callbacks then can decrement a counter and signal
> cpu_halt_cond when it's zero), but no one has implemented this.

Yeah, that's the other approach -- really split the things that can
be async and do real "wait for completion" at points which must
synchronize. (Needs a little care since DMB is not the only such point.)
An initial implementation that does an immediate wait-for-completion
is probably simpler to review though, and add the real asynchrony
later. And either way you need an API for the target to wait for
completion.

thanks
-- PMM