qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] live migration vs device assignment (motivation)

From: Lan, Tianyu
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] live migration vs device assignment (motivation)
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 11:15:59 +0800

On 12/10/2015 1:14 AM, Alexander Duyck wrote:
On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 8:26 AM, Lan, Tianyu <address@hidden> wrote:

For other kind of devices, it's hard to work.
We are also adding migration support for QAT(QuickAssist Technology) device.

QAT device user case introduction.
Server, networking, big data, and storage applications use QuickAssist
Technology to offload servers from handling compute-intensive operations,
such as:
1) Symmetric cryptography functions including cipher operations and
authentication operations
2) Public key functions including RSA, Diffie-Hellman, and elliptic curve
cryptography
3) Compression and decompression functions including DEFLATE and LZS

PCI hotplug will not work for such devices during migration and these
operations will fail when unplug device.

I assume the problem is that with a PCI hotplug event you are losing
the state information for the device, do I have that right?

Looking over the QAT drivers it doesn't seem like any of them support
the suspend/resume PM calls.  I would imagine it makes it difficult
for a system with a QAT card in it to be able to drop the system to a
low power state.  You might want to try enabling suspend/resume
support for the devices on bare metal before you attempt to take on
migration as it would provide you with a good testing framework to see
what needs to be saved/restored within the device and in what order
before you attempt to do the same while migrating from one system to
another.

Sure. The suspend/resume job is under way.
Actually, we have enabled QAT work for migration internally. Doing more test and fixing bugs.

- Alex