qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] ivshmem property size should be a size, not a string

From: Marc-André Lureau
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] ivshmem property size should be a size, not a string
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 09:16:47 -0500 (EST)

Hi

----- Original Message -----

> > You can't migrate the peers.
>
> Then explain the case N'=0 to me: how can you migrate the master so that
> it's connected to a server afterwards?

Dest qemu: -incoming.. -chardev socket,path=dest-server

That is, start your destination qemu with a destination server. The master
origin qemu will migrate the shared memory, and the dest memory will be sync
when the migration is done.

> > It works fine in the tests. Feel free to point out races or other issues.
>
> I think I did: doorbell detection is inherently racy.
>
> If you think it isn't, please refute my reasoning.

I gave you some clues on how I did it in ivshmem-test.c: waiting for a
signature on the memory to be mapped (and also checking that peers received ids)

> If it's not broken, please explain to me how the guest should find out
> whether its ivshmem device sports a doorbell.

If you have received ID, you should be good to use the doorbell.